Straighter Teeth = A Stronger Smile.
When you see someone smiling, you smile! It’s contagious. And it’s powerful. But if your teeth aren’t straight, you may feel self-conscious and not up to sharing your smile with anyone.
You may assume correction is a huge expense you just cannot afford. But it’s not as complicated as all that, especially when you take a look at another option besides traditional braces: Invisalign. These durable plastic aligners are the clear alternative to metal braces for adults and teens, a virtually invisible way to improve your smile.
Don’t think you have the time? No worries: Invisalign works in half the time of traditional metal braces. And in a world where appearance is everything, especially to teens and young adults getting into the dating scene, it’s comforting to know there’s a quicker, less visible way to achieve that killer smile you’ve always wanted.
Your next concern may be where to go for help. That’s where Clear Smiles comes in. With affordable, convenient and personalized care from our orthodontists, boosting your confidence and happiness just got easier. Invisalign is more than just the smartest way to straighten your teeth, it’s also the best way to cover the world in smiles.
What are the benefits of clear aligners? What are the pros and cons of braces? What should you keep in mind when making this important decision? We are here to explain it all.
But first, we encourage you to take our free two-minute smile quiz to know whether you’re a good candidate for Invisalign!
Let’s go over the two options and explore Invisalign vs. braces.
What Do Invisalign and Braces Have in Common?
Well, they have the same end result in common but that’s about it. First off, a quick definition of each:
- Dental braces are the traditional way of straightening crooked teeth, through the use of metal or ceramic brackets and wires to pressure the teeth into place.
- Invisalign is a newer technology that uses clear, removable, invisible aligners.
There are a few similarities between them. They both align teeth and have both been improved over the years in terms of efficiency and comfort. They both treat standard bite problems and crooked teeth, and they are both applied under the direction of an orthodontist.
“Braces and Invisalign both straighten teeth,” says Dr. Schroeder, Clear Smiles orthodontist. “Either can be used on mild to very severe bite problems.”
That’s about where the similarities end. So how do they differ?
What Are the 5 Main Differences Between Braces and Invisalign?
Treatment Time: Traditional braces are typically worn for up to two years and beyond, depending on the extent of the orthodontic issue, while Invisalign is typically worn for 6 to 18 months. Braces cost is typically higher overall, while Invisalign cost is lower.
Application Time: The initial visit for Invisalign is just 30 minutes, during which time you will get a 3D scan of your teeth. That scan is sent to a lab and your aligner trays will arrive back at the office in a few weeks. Simply come in, pop them in, and you’re on your way. Metal braces take one to two hours or more to apply, as the brackets are applied to each tooth with a special cement and wires are added and tightened.
Cleanliness: Invisalign is a cleaner and less messy option than metal braces, as they don’t involve glue and cement like traditional braces do, and can be taken out when eating. Thus, no food particles can get stuck in the aligners. Let’s face it, this is the grossest part about metal braces: trying to remove stubborn food from your teeth – on the down low – while at the lunch table at work or school.
Comfort: There is no regular tightening of aligners as there is with metal braces. The aligners are custom made to your teeth, so the comfort level is higher than with traditional braces, with no wires to poke into your cheek. We all know how painful those jabs can be!
Office Visits: Office visits for metal braces are usually scheduled for every five to 10 weeks throughout the course of treatment, more often if an issue comes up. With Invisalign, you may only need to go into the office a few times, once for the initial consultation, once for the pickup, and once for a check-in to see how things are coming along. You are responsible for switching out the trays every one to two weeks, which can be done from the comfort of your own home. No hectic appointments to keep? Sign us up!
What Are the Main Benefits of Invisalign?
Overall, Invisalign is quicker, cleaner and more comfortable than metal braces, with less treatment time and fewer office visits. According to Dr. Schroeder, Clear Smiles orthodontist, Invisalign offers these distinct benefits:
- Comfort: The adjustments are 10x smaller than with braces and you only change them about once per week. You do not need to come in for those changes. This makes Invisalign much more comfortable. Most patients go all the way through treatment without any pain meds, a plus when you’re on the go and just don’t have time for discomfort.
- Hygiene: You can keep your teeth and gums as healthy as they were before treatment. Because you can remove your braces while eating, it’s much easier to brush and floss your teeth. Trust us, those flossers you need to use with metal braces are no picnic.
- Fewer appointments: Because we do most of the workup on the computer and not in the chair, you have fewer appointments; when you do have them, they’re shorter. Now you have more time to get your hair lightened or hit the field to see your kid play ball.
- No emergency appointments: There are no loose or poking wires or brackets that would necessitate an emergency visit to the orthodontist. No ER? No problem!
- Lifestyle: They look great because they’re virtually invisible. You can eat what you want, with no restrictions like with metal braces. Hello popcorn!
- Aesthetics: No one has to know you’re getting your teeth straightened, as the clear aligners are virtually invisible. Shhh…it’ll be our little secret.
What Are the Main Benefits of Braces?
There’s really just one: “Metal braces are stuck to the teeth, giving the orthodontist more control,” says Dr. Crosby, Clear Smiles orthodontist. “Compliance is removed from the equation.”
Traditional braces may work better for small children, who don’t have the discipline to voluntarily put in and remove Invisalign at their discretion.
Things to Keep in Mind Before Deciding Whether You Should Get Braces or Invisalign
The #1 consideration to keep front of mind? Invisalign is only effective if the patient wears the trays, points out Dr. Crosby. If the discipline of following through with this is an issue, then braces are a better option.
Invisalign is recommended in most cases: People who play sports have fewer lip and cheek lacerations. In addition, people who play musical instruments have fewer issues with their lips while playing. Those with busy schedules gravitate towards Invisalign because of the fewer office visits and shorter time in the chair.
Competitive Advantages of Invisalign
Choosing Clear Smiles as your partner in achieving straighter teeth is a wise decision. Here are some reasons to choose us:
- Our orthodontists are among the most experienced Invisalign providers in the world.
- Convenient online scheduling, flexible appointments, and personal care by an orthodontic specialist.
- Financing is available – as low as $54/month.
- Dental insurance may cover 50% of your treatment cost.
- Virtual consultations and dental monitoring.
- Ability to perform minor orthodontic procedures.
- Registered Dental Assistant at all locations.
Clear Smiles goes beyond simply offering you a confident, gorgeous smile. With us, you get the health benefits of straight teeth – plus healthier gums, less risk of tooth decay and premature wear – so you can improve your life starting with your smile!
Contact Clear Smiles Today!
Ready to start your journey to healthier, more beautiful teeth? Contact us today to book your FREE 3D scan and consultation with us. We can help you create more smile-worthy moments!